Maids redux: This breaks my heart knowing we have policies and a social culture that support or ignore such issues.
The Maid Trade - Singapore
Some of the more (imho) horrendous "rules" (assuming it varies from agency to another):
1) No relationships. "Practical", but would any civilized person tolerate controlling another's personal life? Do you think I would go to the US if I was told I was forbidden to have relationships with people there? The ugliest part of the video was the agency trainer publicly disparaging an Indian construction worker as ugly and not worthy to be a boyfriend.
2) Inequality. $200 for Indian maids, $300 for Thai maids? Discrimination by nationality?
3) No freedom to practice one's religion (even mainstream ones!!!)??? Will probably have to verify this ... seems like a "WTF moment" here considering how sensitive an issue religion is in Singapore.
4) Maids paying for their travel to Singapore.
5) Off-days discrimination for different races! Then again, off-days are treated as a privilege, not a right. It's like labor laws are totally not respected.