Monday, December 21, 2009

A nice little change ...

For once, I have something positive to say about someone from the PAP.

"Health Minister apologises for overcrowding situation at hospitals" (By Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 21 December 2009 2148 hrs) caught my attention.

Mr. Khaw realized the problem, regrets the failure to complete a hospital building project early enough and announces plans to try to solve the problem.

He has earned some brownie points from me.

For him to truly score in my books, however, I'd like for him to have told us why they failed to complete the hospital on time. Was it a problem with the budget? Did they not anticipate the growth in hospital use? I would rather the Ministry of Health think about what might have led up to this failure in order to better serve the people than for our athletics team to "reflect" on why they did not get more gold medals at the behest of Teo Chee Hean (CNA - "http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1026000/1/.html"). It would also have been nice if Mr Khaw had revealed some statistics about the scale of the problem and how the future hospital plans are expected to effectively solve the problem.

Ok, sorry, could not resist the pot-shot at Teo Chee Hean. Quite frankly, the only military person I like in that bunch has got to be George Yeo.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's a ploy.

Election is coming, that's why...

Chee Wai Lee said...

gnodivad,

For me, I'm not entirely sure. My prior (shallow, I must admit) observations of PAP politician behavior in the past just prior to elections is that they only want to trumpet their achievements.

I have never known a case where one would apologize for anything, sincere or otherwise.