Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Thoughts about Political Life by Catherine Lim

This little vignette from Catherine Lim struck a cord with me:

‘Why Don’t You Get Into Politics?’

 I do not have much to say except that it pretty much captures the same feelings I have about myself if I were to choose a career in politics. The significant differences between Catherine and myself are that I am less of a maverick and not as on-the-fringe as she seemed to imply she is. Unlike her (based on my impressions of her), I reckon I am also more likely to be physically intimidated by someone else arguing face-to-face about an issue. My natural tendencies have been to put myself into other peoples' shoes and attempt to be as fair to them as possible. That just does not work when faced with a hostile political opponent.

No comments: